Saturday, 11 May 2013

OUGD501 // Theory to Practice // Publication Binding Process

I was originally going to stitch the publication together, but as i was designing the it, i thought it was quite a substantial amount of content and made it quite a thick and content heavy publication. As this was meant to be a sort of guide to advertising through looking at Coca-Cola i thought it could be better binded. 
I decided to go with the perfect bind. I had never done this before, so it was good that i was learning a new technique. After watching a few different videos online, i had an idea of what to do, to do the bind. Once i had printed the publication and cut it up i could bind it all together. 

 Normally you would use a book binding clamp, but because i didnt have one of these i just used some books and other heavy objects to keep the publication clamped down. Basically you bind the inside pages together using PVA glue and brush it onto the edge of the pages down the spine. After doing this you let it dry and then do it another three times. 

Applying the PVA glue to the spine, on the make shift book clamp

Once the three layers had been applied, i left it overnight to allow it to dry thoroughly. When it was completely dry, that was the perfect bind complete and it was now bound together and could be read as a book. 

Glue down the spine, holding the pages together. 

Page insides all bound together. 

I was able to flick through the pages and read it like a normal book. The small insert work really well within the pages of the case study too. 

From doing this i then had to add the front covers to the publication. After cutting them up and folding them to create the spines. I simply used double sided tape to attach the front cover to the inside pages. I overlapped the double sided tape on the spine so that the front cover would stick to the two inside pages of the book. This acts as a opening device, so when the front cover is opened the page lift up for you to start to read. 

The front cover is scored on the front so that when you come to open the book, it can be bent back further so the book can be opened wider to make it easier to read. 

As you can see here, with the front cover being stuck to the inside page, it lifts it up as you open the book, to make it easier to turn the page. It also is fully stuck around the spine and the inside pages, so they will stay fully attached to the book front cover. 

The book has a second front cover. This is shows the title of the book whilst hiding anything about coca-cola except the red and white of the logo. When you open the front cover it shows the illustration of the coca cola bottle. Again this front cover is also scored and folded so that it can be fully opened to see the illustration below. 

Publication as a whole. The publication is fully bound using a perfect bind. 
I found this bound really easy to do, there is alot of waiting around and takes longer to get the finished product than other, because of the time it takes for the glue to dry, but it is an easy one to do and gives a great product at the end. 

I think using this bind on this publication has made it more professional and gives it a different feel and look, because you associate these kinds of books with education and guides and something that you read to learn from - which is what the publication is all about, so it has enhanced the communication of the publication. 

The bind itself isn't the tidiest and i could of done it a bit neater, but i know this for future. The gluing the spine was hard the first time around because i didn't know how much glue to apply, i think i have put too much on, and it has added extra length to the publication which has made the back of the front cover lay slightly short of the edge of the book. Again i know for future to allow extra length on the publication cover and to apply less glue. For my first attempt I am really happy with the result and will definitely use this bind again.

No comments:

Post a Comment